Low Carb Indian Diet for Easy & Effective Weight Loss 2022
When eating at an Indian restaurant or preparing Indian food to eat at home, you could be forgiven for thinking that a meal rich in carbohydrates is a foregone conclusion. With an emphasis on rice, naan bread, poppadoms, and sweet sauces, many Indian dishes are high in carbohydrates, but that doesn’t mean you can’t experience an Indian menu while cutting back on carbs. You just need to know what to choose.
Low Carb Guidelines – low carb indian diet
You will not find a formal definition of what is a low carb diet or a low carb meal. The United States Department of Agriculture suggests that between 45 and 65 per cent of your daily calorie intake should come from carbohydrates, however. This means that someone who eats 2,000 calories per day should eat between 900 and 1,300 calories from carbohydrates – equivalent to 225 to 325 grams per day.
Additionally, the USDA states that the minimum recommended carbohydrate intake for adults is 130 grams per day. Therefore, an Indian low carb flour could be classified as one that fits in on a day when you are eating less than your advised carbohydrate intake.
Carbohydrate calculation with Indian food – low carb indian diet
It can often be difficult to know exactly how much carbohydrate you are eating when eating out, so Ashwini Wagle, Sajida Arsiwala, Bhavna Subhedar, and Kathy Sucher from San Jose State University suggest that you look at foods in blocks, with each block equaling to about 15 grams of carbohydrates. For bread, a 6-inch chapati, a small dinner roll, a 10-inch dosa, or half a pita bread all equal one block. A third of a cup of any kind of rice, or half of a dhansak biryani, 1/2 cup of a potato or lentil plate, or a Korma is also one apple each. Some items, like chicken curry, aloo gobhi, and mixed dal, are less carbohydrate-dense, so one block counts as 1 1/4 cup, 1 cup, and 1 cup, respectively.
What to choose – low carb indian diet
For specific dishes to opt for, the Atkins site suggests tandoori dishes – these are meats cooked with mixes of herbs and spices in a clay oven. Vegetable curries or dishes made with paneer – a type of Indian cheese – make garnishes lower in carbohydrates than rice or bread. Meat and fish curries also typically contain less plant-based carbohydrates than more or lentil-based ones.
Key points to remember
If you’re not sure what’s on a plate, don’t be afraid to ask the waiters. Some dishes that sound like they may be low carb may contain potato, so it is best to check. Also, appetizers and sides like samosas and pakoras are high in carbohydrates, so choose a salad plate, kebab or tandoori instead. When you eat out, try to choose dishes that are free of starches and sugars. Cooking Indian food at home is a bit easier when you know exactly what is going on in your dishes, so this may be a better option if you are on a strict low carb diet.
A low carb weight loss plan is recognized to work properly for weight reduction. Indians on a low carb weight loss plan are at all times on a glance out for low carb Indian weight loss plan plans as they do not have too many choices. These on a low carb vegetarian weight loss plan have a troublesome time in making weight loss plan plans for themselves whereas it’s a breeze for individuals who eat non-veg.
Meals choices for non-vegetarians – low carb indian diet
In India, probably the most generally consumed non-veg meals gadgets are eggs, fish and rooster. You possibly can have them every single day when on a low carb weight loss plan. There are such a lot of yummy dishes that you may make out of them.
Your weight loss plan won’t be onerous in any respect. Have a fluffy omelette with numerous veggies for breakfast, take pleasure in grilled fish for lunch and tandoori rooster for dinner!
Meals choices for vegetarians/egalitarians
Greens – low carb indian diet
There are many low carb veggies in India so vegetarians needn’t fear. Take a look at those who provide 4g and fewer carbs per 100 g of the veggies.
Cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage
A dish might be simply made out of cabbage, cauliflower or broccoli. In case you occur to be an egalitarian, you possibly can at all times have cabbage with scrambled eggs. A broccoli and cabbage soup might be included in your meal.
• Boiled cabbage has 0.6 g carbs per 100 g
• Boiled Broccoli has 1. three g carbs per 100 g
• Boiled Cauliflower has 2. three g carbs per 100 g
Spinach, lettuce, cucumber and radish – low carb indian diet
You may make a wholesome salad out of radish, cucumber and lettuce. In case you like, they are often steamed. A tacky spinach soup can be an awesome possibility for a meal.
• Uncooked cucumber has 1.5 g of carbs per 100 g
• Uncooked radish has 2 g of carbs per 100 g
• Uncooked Spinach has 1.6 g of carbs per 100 g
• Lettuce has 1.9 g of carbs per 100 g
Eggplant – low carb indian diet
Brinjal or eggplant is a low carb veggie. Uncooked Brinjal (100 g) has 2.2 g of carbs in it. The carb relies on will increase solely on addition of onion and tomatoes. You possibly can reduce eggplant into skinny slices, add masalas and prepare dinner on the Tawa with minimal oil. It may positively be part of your low carbohydrate weight loss plan.
Capsicum and Pumpkin – low carb indian diet
Capsicum and pumpkin are additionally low Carbohydrate veggies. Capsicum might be added to salads, grilled veggies and even omelettes. You can too make a yummy dish out of pumpkin and relish it alongside together with your salad or soup. Pumpkin has solely 2.2 g of carbs in each 100 g of the veggie.
Moong Dal and Soya
Soya is a good supply of protein for vegetarians. You possibly can embody Soya chunks in your meals simply. Moong Dal can be an excellent possibility. It’s low in carbs and wholesome too.
Fruits – low carb indian diet
On a low carb weight loss plan, you can’t take pleasure in many fruits however you possibly can have berries. Strawberries, raspberries and blueberries might be eaten however sparsely.
Dairy – low carb indian diet
You possibly can go forward with full fats milk and Paneer when on a low carbohydrate weight loss plan. Nonetheless, just be sure you devour it sparsely.
Nuts are barely tough. Simply stick to five almonds or 5 walnuts as a snack when hungry.
Additional virgin olive oil is the healthiest fat however you need to drizzle it on high chilly salads.
Now it is possible to lose weight without problems! A low carb Indian diet plan for weight loss is an eating pattern in which you restrict carbohydrate intake and increase protein intake while maintaining moderate fat intake. An Indian low carb diet plan for weight loss allows for 20 to 40 grams of carbohydrates in a day. Some low-carb diets heavily restrict carbohydrates during the initial phase of the diet and then gradually increase the number of carbohydrates allowed.
There are several types of low-carbohydrate diets that can cause weight loss and improve health. Each diet has varying restrictions on the types and amounts of carbohydrates you can eat. This depends on how healthy you are, how active you are, and what your weight loss goal is. Let’s review this Indian low carb diet plan for weight loss. The two typical low carb weight loss diet plans that are famous all over the world are:
The diets mentioned above are fixed menus and difficult for each person to follow. Hence, we have designed this low carb Indian diet plan for weight loss. This is a very easy to follow and practical diet plan. The menu is based on the everyday foods that we already use in our homes. This not only makes dieting easier but also helps you lose weight.
How to plan a low carb Indian diet for weight loss?
On a low carbohydrate diet, one should limit the following foods:
- Most grains,
- Starchy fruits and vegetables,
- Bread and pasta, and
- Most Indian sweets and desserts.
We as Indians have carbohydrates as our main component of the diet. It is especially difficult for vegetarians to switch to a low carb vegetarian diet plan to lose weight. Most vegetarian foods contain at least a certain amount of carbohydrates, unlike meats which are almost zero. The vegetarian low carb weight loss diet plan may include some amount of complex carbohydrates, legumes and legumes, as well as some sprouts. It can also consist of some fibrous fruits and vegetables.
Health Benefits of a Low Carb Diet Plan:low carb indian diet
Low carbohydrate diets help prevent various health conditions. Some of them are listed below.
With a low carb diet, we see significant weight loss along with an improvement in other health parameters. This helps correct the metabolic syndrome.
Ingesting limited carbohydrates eventually leads to a lower blood sugar spike. Controlled blood sugar levels help in the successful management of diabetes.
- High blood pressure and cardiovascular disease:
Including plenty of fibre through low-carb fruits and vegetables not only controls blood pressure but also helps with weight problems.
The inclusion of lean protein not only helps improve high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol but also improves triglyceride values. There is also a decrease in total cholesterol in the body.
Other benefits of a low carb diet include:
- Reduction of fat stores,
- Greater mental clarity, and
- Better digestive system.
- Less acne and improved skin,
- Fewer migraines, as well as
- Better fertility in some cases.
Health Risks and Side Effects of a Low Carb Diet Plan: low carb indian diet
Short-term side effects of a low-carb diet include:
- Bad breath
- Soft spot
- Muscle cramps
- Constipation or diarrhea
If you follow a low-carb diet for longer, it can cause the following side effects: low carb indian diet
- Vitamin deficiencies,
- Mineral deficiencies,
- Bone loss and
- Gastrointestinal disorders.
Therefore, this diet is not recommended for people of growing age. If you are 11-16 years old, you can follow our Indian Diet Plan for Childhood Obesity
Who Shouldn’t Go On A Low Carb Diet To Lose Weight?
- Taking diabetes medications: If you take insulin or other diabetes medications. There are chances of hypoglycemic episodes. Therefore, follow the diet only under the guidance of a dietitian.
- Taking blood pressure medications: Low-carb diets can lower blood pressure even more. You can follow the diet under the strict supervision of a certified professional.
- Breastfeeding: It can lead to a poor intake of all the necessary nutrients during breastfeeding. Which in turn can be harmful to a baby and a nursing mother.
Low Carb Indian Diet Plan For Weight Loss:
Let’s start with planning our low carb diet plan. Just follow the steps below:
List of foods to include in a low carb diet:
Complex carbohydrates: low carb indian diet
The inclusion of 1 serving/day of complex carbohydrates is allowed to balance the necessary nutrients. This can be in the form of:
- Integral rice
- Corn, Bajra, as well as jowar.
- Broken wheat / Daliya, as well as couscous, quinoa and oatmeal.
- Read -Indian foods rich in complex carbohydrates.
High in protein: low carb indian diet
Non-vegetarians can include: –
- Lean meats, chicken and pork.
- Seafood such as fish, lobster, shrimp, and crab.
Vegetarians can include: –
- Milk, Cheese, Paneer, Curd and Feta Cheese.
- Legumes and legumes like – mung dal, Lobia, channa, chickpeas, as well as gram of horse.
- Buds Made from green moong, moth, and channa.
- Nuts like walnuts, almonds, pine nuts, Brazil nuts, walnuts, macadamia nuts, etc.
- Seeds like sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds. Flax seeds and chia seeds.
Rich in fat:
- Omega 3 rich oils,
- Nuts and oilseeds,
- Olive oil, peanut oil, or coconut oil for cooking.
- Nut butter such as almond butter or peanut butter.
List of foods to avoid on a low carb diet: low carb indian diet
Avoid table sugar and foods that contain sugar. Avoid sodas, fruit juices, candy, ice cream, and many ready-to-eat products that contain added sugar.
This can also include starchy grains like wheat, rice, barley, and rye, as well as bread, cereals, and pasta. Also, restrict refined flours like maida, cornstarch, arrowroot flour, and potato flour.
Exclude hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils or oils that produce trans fats when heated. Few ready-to-eat products, like junk food and fast food, also have trans fats. You should also keep a record of those foods.
- Low-fat diet and products:
Many dairy products, cereals, and crackers are reduced in fat and marketed as diet foods. However, these foods contain added sugar and starches. It is better to avoid such foods.
It is best to limit starchy vegetables in your diet if you are on a very low carbohydrate diet. These include all tubers.
Helpful Tips for Planning a Low Carb Diet Plan:low carb indian diet
- Keep breakfast super low carb. Opt only for egg preparations with black coffee or sprouts with black coffee.
- Replace all starchy carbohydrates with high-fiber veggies and protein options.
- When eating outside of our low carb diet plan for weight loss, get a taste of the recipe and go for the high fat, high protein and low carb recipe. Any egg recipe without the use of a lot of carbohydrates is the best option when you eat out.
- Ready-to-eat low-carb foods don’t help you lose weight, but they do have the exact opposite reaction. Avoid falling prey to such tricks. Instead of choosing baked chips, baked chakali, which are sold under the name of diet snacks, choose to eat healthy fruits that are high in fiber, as well as nuts and oilseeds.
- You can fill in between meals with either zero-calorie liquids like green tea or low-calorie liquids like buttermilk. This will keep you full until the next meal.
What Indian food is low-carb?
Here are some Indian dishes that are all keto-friendly:
- Baigan ka bharta. One of the best and more nutritious low carb vegetables is baingan (or brinjal or aubergine). …
- Paneer bhurji. If you’re on a keto diet, then paneer is going to be your friend. …
- Sarso Ka Saag. …
- Avial. …
- Palak Paneer.
How can I reduce carbs in my Indian diet?
13 Easy Ways to Reduce Your Carbohydrate Intake
- Curb sugar-sweetened drinks.
- Eat less refined bread.
- Reconsider fruit juice.
- Choose low carb snacks.
- Focus on low carb breakfasts.
- Try sugar alternatives.
- Rethink restaurant meals.
- Substitute alternative flours.
Is Indian diet high in carbs?
Indians on average eat more carbohydrates, less protein (both animal and plant-based) and less fruit and vegetables than newly published dietary recommendations. They also tend to eat much more sugar and processed food than what is recommended, even when they have the money to eat more diver.
What are low-carb Indian vegetables?
Here is a list of the 21 best low-carb vegetables to include in your diet.
- Bell Peppers. Share on Pinterest. …
- Broccoli. Broccoli is a true superfood. …
- Asparagus. Asparagus is a delicious spring vegetable. …
- Mushrooms. Mushrooms are extremely low in carbs. …
- Zucchini. …
- Spinach. …
- Avocados. …
Related searches low carb indian diet
- low carb indian vegetarian diet recipes
- low carb indian food for dinner
- high protein low carb indian food
- low carb indian non veg diet plan
- low carb diet plan for south indian vegetarian
- low carb indian food for breakfast
- low carb south indian food
- low carb indian diet chart for weight loss
low carb indian diet